HVAC Tips and Advice from Northeast Florida Heating & Air
Air Conditioning & Heating Tips
(Source: National Association of Realtors®)
- Make sure there are at least two feet of clearance around outdoor air conditioning units and heat pumps.
- During spring, summer, and fall, make a weekly habit of removing debris such as leaves, pollen, and twigs from the top and sides of outdoor air-conditioning units and heat pumps. Take care to keep the lawn mower from discharging grass clippings onto the unit.
- Inspect insulation on refrigerant lines leading into the house monthly.
- Replace if missing or damaged.
- Do an annual check to make sure that outdoor air-conditioning units and heat pumps are on firm and level ground or pads.
- At least once a year, pour a cup of bleach mixed with water down the air-conditioner condensate drain to prevent the buildup of algae, which can cause clogs.
- To avoid placing unnecessary strain on your air conditioning and heating system, never close more than 20% of your home’s registers.
- Replace the battery in your home’s carbon monoxide detector annually.
(Source: ENERGY STAR®)
Maintaining your equipment properly can prevent future problems and unwanted costs. Keep your cooling and heating system at peak performance by having professional pre-season check-ups in the spring and fall. They typically include the following:
- Check thermostat settings to ensure the cooling and heating system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy when you’re not.
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty electrical connections can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components.
- Lubricate all moving parts. Parts that lack lubrication cause friction in motors and increase the amount of electricity you use.
- Check and inspect the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode). A plugged drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
- Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly.
Cooling Specific Tips
- Clean evaporator and condenser air conditioning coils. Dirty coils reduce the system’s ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check your central air conditioner’s refrigerant level and adjust if necessary. Too much or too little refrigerant will make your system less efficient, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Clean and adjust blower components to provide proper system airflow for greater comfort levels. Airflow problems can reduce your system’s efficiency by up to 15 percent.
Heating Specific Tips
- Check all gas or oil connections, gas pressure, burner combustion and heat exchanger. Improperly operating gas or oil connections are a fire hazard and can contribute to health problems. A dirty burner or cracked heat exchanger causes improper burner operation. Either can cause the equipment to operate less safely and efficiently.
- Inspect, clean, or change air filters once a month in your central air conditioner, furnace, and/or heat pump. A dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to early failure.
What Our Customers Say
Just had a service call performed by Dave and Jacob and it was great !in this day and age it is a rarity to find a company with integrity so I am unfortunately always leery about companies and the service they provide ,but my mind was changed both Dave and Jacob showed up on time and acted in a very professional manner and actually were very comfortable in the way they greeted me and interacted with me so it cut down on the awkwardness, and I enjoyed that I was kept informed throughout the whole process and it was explained to me in layman's terms not industry talk! I am highly satisfied with the service and the quality of the 2 employees Dave and Jacob, I highly recommend this company and for sure those 2 individuals.I also will end by saying that they have a customer for life that is for sure and I will tell anyone that will listen what a great job they did!William P.
Dustin came out to us and I was immediately impressed with his knowledge of HVAC. He was patient with us and very respectful. He got the system back on track in no time at all. I recommend this company highly.Ivus B.
I started with making an appointment on a Sunday, unfortunately they're closed so I didn't expect any quick response. They called me to make my appointment for the next day. Awesome! Daniel showed up on-time between 8 and 830 like I was told. Excellent! He quickly assessed my problem and fixed the issue (which was just to add more free-on). He also answered all my questions and made it easier for me to understand. Thank you Daniel for your good customer service. This here is the business to use if your a yelper and read these reviews. When the time comes for needing repairs I will be calling them again.Dave F.